Check out the definition of Toxic Fitness Culture if you aren't familiar.
Some Example of Toxic Fitness Culture:
- The promotion of fitness the sole purpose of weight loss.
- The belief that fit has a look.
- Personal trainers unwilling or unable to modify exercises that support your unique body.
- The belief that you’re not working hard enough if you haven’t achieved thinness.
- Personal trainers who aren’t registered dietitians giving diet advice.
- Personal trainers who don’t believe you when you need to stop and encourage you to push through pain.
- The belief that beating your body up makes for a good workout.
- Only being seen as an “expert” because you are in a smaller body.
- Having a limited view of what fitness is.
- Believing working out is more important than listening to what your body needs.
- The belief that your body has to get smaller/toned when you engage in fitness and if it doesn’t you’re doing something wrong.
- Being coerced or shamed into working out.
- Thinking diet and exercise is the only way to take care of ourselves.
- Cultivating fitness spaces that AREN’T accessible or affirming to a diverse group of bodies.
- Making fitness overly complicated to show authority or expertise.
- Personal Training Certifications that don’t offer education on working with body diverse populations.